Sunday, February 3, 2008

THE TREE OF LIFE

Despite sign posting most of the way, we nearly missed the 'Tree of Life'. We had expected a bit more pomp and ceromony surrounding it - but no, there it was, a tree in the desert.

There is nothing particularly special looking abouty the tree itself, it's a nice big mesquite tree with big sweeping branches. The amazing thing about it though, as I found out later (no information centre or plaque at the site) is that it is hundreds of years old - nobody knows how old exactly, and nobody knows how it managed to get establish and survive - there is no water for miles and miles. Some say it is magical - in a youth fountain kinda way! it didn't work on me, perhaps because I found the camel poo more interesting.

It was a freezing cold day and we were not dressed for the cold wind, so did not stay long, but apparently it is a nice place to go camping. Come and stay and we will take you there!


1 comment:

  1. Howdy again!

    I have trouble imagining that Bahrain could be cold! But looking at the photo of you snuggling into hubby.. I'm convinced! I've never heard of the 'tree of life' before. Thank you for sharing these pics. Camel poo on a blog.. that was a first! ;-) I have missed your blogging! :-)

    ReplyDelete